Do I Qualify?Eligibility: How to Get a Service Dog
If you are a veteran who is interested in applying for a PTSD service dog, please review the following information to determine if you meet the eligibility requirements.
Active Duty or Veteran of the United States Armed Forces
Veterans or service members of foreign armed forces do not qualify.
Each applicant must provide a DD214 Long Form stating Character of Service.
Diagnosis of PTSD, TBI, or MST
You must provide a letter from a physician, counselor, or VA stating:
- diagnosis of service-related PTSD, TBI, and/or MST.
- you are medically, mentally, and physically able to handle the responsibilities of owning and training a dog.
The letter must be printed on the official letterhead of the provider. To avoid unnecessary delays in processing your application,
DOWNLOAD VETERAN LETTER TEMPLATE
and give it to your physician, counselor, or VA.
Felony Convictions are Ineligible
Felony convictions, domestic violence, sexual offenses, or animal mistreatment, abuse, neglect, or cruelty disqualify you from this program.
- Service in combat is NOT a requirement.
- Post 9/11 service is NOT required.
- A VA Disability percentage rating is NOT required.