Bufo Toad Florida Infestation is Toxic to Pets.
Did you know that the Bufo Toad (Bufo Marinus) is extremely poisonous to dogs and cats
Bufo toads are infesting the eastern coast of Florida, and are especially prevalent after rainstorms. The warm temperatures and frequent rains have spurred the Cane Toad into a breeding cycle. This overpopulation has killed both native wildlife and pets alike. They have an almost endless food supply and will even eat food left out for your pet. There are pesticides available on the market or pest removal companies that can spray to deter any cane toads from infesting your yard.
When handled or threatened, the toad secretes a highly toxic milky substance from its large parotoid glands at the back of its head. This secretion can burn your eyes, may irritate your skin, and can kill dogs and cats if ingested.
Dogs are especially susceptible to their poison as it is absorbed directly through their mucous membrane if they lick the frog. These toads secrete a toxin that affects the heart. Avoid touching or picking them up to remove them from the area as the toxin can rub off on your hands and then be passed to your dog.
Symptoms of Bufo Toad Poisoning
Symptoms of Buffo Toad poisoning in pets include drooling, head-shaking, crying, loss of coordination, and, in more serious cases, convulsions. Be familiar with your pet’s normal gum color as their gums will often turn red. Veterinarians often use this as an indication of toad poisoning.
Treatment: If you suspect toad poisoning in your pet, get a hose and run water in the side of the dog’s/cat’s mouth, pointing the animal’s head downward so water isn’t swallowed. Rub the gums and mouth to remove the toxin. This treatment is usually successful but you should visit your veterinarian immediately.